Skip to main content
Topic: No sound with wireplumber > 0.4.6-1 on intel HD audio (Read 1913 times) previous topic - next topic

No sound with wireplumber > 0.4.6-1 on intel HD audio

Hi all.

TLDR: Any thoughts? I'm getting worried: what if someday wireplumber 0.4.6-1 would stop working at all. Replace pipewire with pulseaudio then?

For a pretty long time already, to get sound on my system with wireplumber 0.4.6-1, after each reboot I have to run pavucontrol ---> Configuration tab ---> set Profile = "Default (unavailable)". The only other profile in that combobox is "Off" which is always selected by default.

With ALL wireplumber versions after 0.4.6-1 (including recent 0.4.11-1 and 0.4.11-2), options in pavucontrol look the same but no sound even after I select Profile = "Default (unavailable)". Always have to revert it to 0.4.6-1. Everything else on my system is up to date (including all other pipewire packages).

On 2022-01-16 I've asked on some other forum about why default profile is "unavailable" (and all its ports on Output Devices tab are "unplugged") but got only reassuring answers "same for me" and "OpenSUSE haven't yet accepted 0.4.7, there are known regressions, mantainers already sent 3 patches upstream". Don't know if anything changed there since.

My motherboard is GA-AX370 Gaming 5, kernel driver is snd_hda_intel.

LATER UPD: I also have some sound card called "GP106 High Definition Audio Controller", probably something on my nVidia GeForce 1060. Never knew what is it or how to plug into it. And until i disabed it through kernel command line (snd_hda_intel.enable=0,1) i had to do much more steps in pavucontrol to make sound work.

Re: No sound with wireplumber > 0.4.6-1 on intel HD audio

Reply #1
Try the hardware tab instead
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3
clearly i was mistaken i my post
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4

We certainly speak of different applications. My pavucontrol looks like this, and from what I googled pavucontrol-qt looks the same. I also could not find anything in it to pop up "Sound Preferences" dialog like yours. What application screenshots are you actually showing me?

Reply #5
clearly this is beyond me as i could not get pipewire to load a pulseaudio compatible server to even with pipewire-pulse installed wireplumber is no help and pavucontrol couldn't find a server.

I bow out.  best of luck.

i use pulseaudio without issue.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #6
very weirdly, i also have a legacy intel hda (and 2 modern sound cards on other pc) and pipewire/wireplmber is still working perfectly

i remember having an issue a while back solved by deleting all configs in /etc/pipewire, try that

Reply #7
i remember having an issue a while back solved by deleting all configs in /etc/pipewire, try that

The only change in configs I did is this, already tried to revert it, problem remained.

UPD. Meaning, i have no /etc/pipewire at all. :) Copying configs from /usr/share to /etc makes its very hard to track changes. And not all configs can be copied to /etc, some are already there (s6, iptables, ...). Instead, i edit configs in-place (in this case -- in /usr/share), backing up original and edited versions, so my script which performs system updates also tracks configs overwritten by pacman:

Code: [Select]
# ls -l /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5709 2022-07-22 00:45:56  /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5709 2022-07-20 01:38:39  /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf~~dimgel
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5044 2022-07-20 01:38:22 '/usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf~~pipewire 1:0.3.56-1'

Reply #8
fwiw i have intel sound and couldnt get pipewire to make any sound or load a server..

Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 200 Series PCH HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #9
It's been two years since I removed all pulse packages except libpulse and libcanberra.
I use alsa and the nice and very practical qastools mixer on different pc.
pacman -Ss qastools
world/qastools 0.23.0-2 (pro-audio) [installé]
    A collection of desktop applications for the Linux sound system ALSA.

To list sound cards:
cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfce60000 irq 96
 1 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0xfc900000 irq 98

Then to define card 1:
your_text_editor ~/.asoundrc
or
nano ~/.asoundrc

And in my case, I specified this:
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.ctl.card 1

Finally you have to restart or
restart the alsasound service (command for openrc):
sudo rc-service alsasound restart

To test sound after reboot:
speaker-test

How do I stop my usb sound card from being in position 0 in /proc/asound/cards ?

I want my two HDA-Intel cards to always be in position 0 and 1 and my USB-Audio card to be in position 2 :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #10
It's been two years since I removed all pulse packages except libpulse and libcanberra.
I use alsa and the nice and very practical qastools mixer on different pc.

Yeah, I used pure alsa + qastools for many-many years on gentoo. Until steam/linux games became silent without pulseaudio, and gentoo's precompiled firefox-bin turned out to require pulseaudio too. So I'm pretty surprised to hear about pure alsa on binary distro: do you have sound in firefox/librewolf/ungoogled-chromium?

UPD. I remember there was some tiny package that emulates pulse API redirecting it to alsa, but at some moment i got problems with it, don't remember details.

Reply #11
So I'm pretty surprised to hear about pure alsa on binary distro:
When I was fed up with pulseaudio and the way it messed things up, I deleted it.

do you have sound in firefox/librewolf/ungoogled-chromium?
But of course, as well as in other browsers.

I also have sound in DeabBeef, Audacious, Avidemux, Audacity, SimpleScreenReccorder, smplayer, vlc etc.

I just had to configure alsa so that the micro USB of my webcam is always in position 0 when I connect it.
How do I stop my usb sound card from being in position 0 in /proc/asound/cards
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #12
I can see how with 2+ sound cards and a hardware audio mixer you can get away with an alsa only setup :)

Reply #13
For now I'd still prefer to solve OP problem and continue with pipewire.

Reply #14
Maybe, try removing
~/.local/state/pipewire
and
~/.local/state/wireplumber