Skip to main content
Topic: kernel panic. working init not found (Read 885 times) previous topic - next topic

kernel panic. working init not found

have artix installed on an nvme ssd drive with two partitions for root and home.
it was working fine
suddenly i had to leave home for office, i cut the power connection to the pc
 came back evening and got kernel panic
no working init found
 had run pacman -Syyyu in the morning. is there any way to get back to the login prompt without reinstalling
tried artools chroot from older version of artix saved in usb but it just keeps saying kernel panic. No working init found.
tried pacman --overwrite="*" -Syyu linux linux-firmware runit elogind-runit grub initramfs amd-ucode linux-headers ; grub-install --recheck /dev/nvme0n1; grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg  but it just doesn't work

Re: kernel panic. working init not found

Reply #1
I had the same issues, i ended up booting it weirdly, backing up and reinstalling.
The only way i got it to boot was with linux-lts kernel or other older kernel version and with installing grub with the appropriate uefi/nvme settings (not simply grub-install --recheck) from within the chroot. Unfortunately that's how far i ended up with it, i backed up what i needed and next rebot without doing anything kernel panic loop again.
After reinstall with the same package updates everything is fine, i even tried breaking it and solid as a rock. Very weird but eh, we carry on.

Possible fault is not only to grub but also in a way to the 5.19 kernel series because they have some weird issues overall and i don't know what they're screwing around with it now...

Reply #2
pacman --overwrite="*" -Syyu linux linux-firmware runit elogind-runit grub initramfs amd-ucode linux-headers ; grub-install --recheck /dev/nvme0n1; grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
This should have restored a possibly damaged /sbin/init, but it seems something else was broken (a shared library perhaps).
You should reinstall all packages before resorting to full installation.

Reply #3
Have you solved it? I have the same issue.

Reply #4
the problem seems to be with missing link /usr/lib64 -> /usr/lib
you should make the link and regenerate initramfs

or simply
Code: [Select]
pacman -S filesystem mkinitcpio

Reply #5
or simply
Code: [Select]

this fixed the problem for me.
i had no /usr/lib64 but /usr/lib64.backup which was linked to /usr/lib
after it i had both and deleted lib64.backup

since searching for this didn't give that much results for the actual solution i post my exact steps here because this was somewhat out of my comfort zone of risk of breaking something and this would have been what i was looking for.

artix with openrc
booted into live iso
mounted /dev/sda1 to /mnt, (actually /dev/mapper/luks-id because of encryption)
artix-chroot /mnt
reboot->solved