Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Linux LTS: old 5.15 and new 6.1 same time? (Read 472 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Linux LTS: old 5.15 and new 6.1 same time?

Is it somehow possible to have an old LTS kernel (5.15.93) and to try a new LTS one (6.1.12) at the same time? The thing is that the names are the same: linux-lts.

So, no way having them both, right?

I just don't want to let the stable and well-tested one go away...

Re: Linux LTS old 5.15 and new 6.1

Reply #1
If you look in /var/cache/pacman/pkg you can see your cached packages including the kernel, e.g. for me:
linux-zen-6.2.3.zen2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst      linux-zen-headers-6.2.3.zen2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
So one method would be to copy the kernel and related header packages somewhere safe like the homedir then chroot in and install them with pacman -U linux-....whatever if needed. You can get the old packages from the Artix package archive anyway so that only saves a bit of online searching, you can downgrade as well as upgrade.

Re: Linux LTS old 5.15 and new 6.1

Reply #2
It's doable, but there's a lot of package conflict issues to be resolved. If you have found a kernel that is stable for your system, keep it and don't update unless absolutely necessary; I still run 5.12.19...

Re: Linux LTS: old 5.15 and new 6.1 same time?

Reply #5
If you wanted something preinstalled as an immediate recovery backup from the boot menu, another easy option would be to install an alternate LTS kernel variation, like linux-rt-lts which is in the Artix repos. I've never tried that myself as the regular one is supposedly more suitable for most use but from what I've read it should work OK and not make any practical difference unless you start counting picoseconds in benchmark tests. You can find various prebuilt kernels in the AUR or in Arch non standard contributed repos, which can be installed as additional packages. Arch & AUR kernels will usually work, but not with DKMS if you use that for anything.

Reply #6
Arch & AUR kernels will usually work, but not with DKMS if you use that for anything

I need DKMS for Virtualbox and wifi modules. But thank you, I will look into RT and/or unofficial LTS kernels.

Reply #7
Arch & AUR kernels will usually work, but not with DKMS if you use that for anything.

I actually use other kernels (precompiled from some repositories, and compiling my own) and DKMS works. What does not work are precompiled module packages. But DKMS is explicitly there to compile modules automagically to any new kernel.

Also, I suggest to always use an up to date kernel (it can be a "low-versioned' LTS branch, but it should be maintained) because every now and then there is a security issue in the kernel that is fixed only in maintaned kernel branches.

Regards!

Reply #8
Arch & AUR kernels will usually work, but not with DKMS if you use that for anything.

I actually use other kernels (precompiled from some repositories, and compiling my own) and DKMS works. What does not work are precompiled module packages. But DKMS is explicitly there to compile modules automagically to any new kernel.

If you have found a kernel that is stable for your system, keep it and don't update unless absolutely necessary

Also, I suggest to always use an up to date kernel (it can be a "low-versioned' LTS branch, but it should be maintained) because every now and then there is a security issue in the kernel that is fixed only in maintaned kernel branches.

Regards!