Skip to main content
Topic: Artix-plasma ISO cannot be booted properly  (Read 781 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix-plasma ISO cannot be booted properly

Hi there,

Just tried booting from official and latest weekly ISO images, but Plasma wouldn’t start properly. Traditional PDF-instructions and a readme file are only downloaded on the desktop, with plasma panels being unavailable. So, I cannot proceed further with the installation because of DE not working.

I tried different ISO images (dinit, S6) with different usb sticks. All was the same.

Re: Artix-plasma ISO cannot be booted properly

Reply #2
I’m using Dell Vostro 14 5410-4619. Some January’s images used to work perfectly.

Reply #3
I had been able to run a live session until recently. Couldn’t figure out what happened.

Reply #4
Just tested plasma-s6-230401 on my laptop (Dell Precision M4800) and in a VM, it works fine. Perhaps if you switch to console and take a look at ~/.xsession-errors and dmesg, you may find something informative.

Reply #5
Is the mouse not functional?
I ask because the 'Install Artix' icon is there so you may still be able to proceed.

On my system CTRL-ALT-T starts konsole.
Also if krunner is active ALT-F2 then type konsole, hit enter.

Then in konsole
Code: [Select]
plasmashell &
and you may get the taskbar etc. If not there may be useful error messages ?

Reply #6
I cannot perform any actions with the mouse, “instal Artix” is not responding if I’m clicking on it.

When tried running “plasmashell &” via terminal, I got the following:

“qt.gpa.xcb: could not connect to display qt.gpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "cb" in "' even though it was found

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problen.
Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimaleg1, offscreen, unc, wayland-eg1, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-eg1, wayland-xcomposite-gix, xb.”

Very odd behaviour. It’s never happened before. All images would normally work well.

Reply #7
Yeah sounds odd.

If you still have am older image you could install from that. After an update things should be the same as if you you installed from the current images

I just tested artix-plasma-openrc-20230401-x86_64.iso in a VM and it's working fine.

If you refuse to go down without a fight here's the command that starts the installer
su
env DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=/home/artix/.Xauthority QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2 calamares
I navigated a few pages deep with just the keyboard (Arrows, TAB and Space)

Reply #8
I’ve got two more images from 31.03.2023 and 15.02.2023. All was the same. Can’t understand what’s gone wrong.

Base ISO works as intended and allows to perform the full installation, but sometimes I need to use a live session. I first thought that some of my hardware had broken down, but there were no hardware issues when tested. I can run other distributions in live mode without any problems, but I’m used to Artix with S6 onboard.

I’m determined to find out what has caused the issue.

Reply #10
I’ve got two more images from 31.03.2023 and 15.02.2023. All was the same. Can’t understand what’s gone wrong.
NVidia GPU? Try disabling nvidia module loading at boot or disabling KMS.

My Dell is equipped with Intel GPU only. It shipped with Ubuntu pre-installed. I bought it specifically for Linux.

Reply #11
What is installed on the laptop atm ?

Reply #12
I had to install EndeavourOS. I might as well take a base Artix ISO and perform the installation, but sometimes I need to boot into a live session. It’s quite convenient when you can open up your own manual with the selected commands being written down in advance. It allows to reduce installation time substantially.

UPD: I’ve got one more old Lenovo laptop and Artix-plasma ISO works well on it. It looks like something is wrong with my Dell, but if it were a hardware failure I wouldn’t have been able to boot into live sessions of any kind of distros.

Reply #13
It looks like something is wrong with my Dell,
I wouldn't have thought so.
Probably drivers.
If you don't mind would you humour me and post the output of
lspci -k 
for both the working installed system and the non working iso.

Edit if you have to do pictures of the iso's output no worries.
And the same if you really can't be bothered ;)

Reply #14
Here’s my output from the iso. It’s the same for the working system.