Skip to main content
Topic: Artix needs your help (Read 48051 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix needs your help

As many of you know, our primary mirror (mirror1.artixlinux.org) was taken down  the past April 7th by his owner. The reasons had not been clarified and we don't know if it is going to come back any time soon, or any time at all.

We are in real need of a new ( and really stable ) main  mirror and multiple secondary mirrors located around the world, is for that that we ask you, our community to help us to spread this message over the Internet, in social networks, blogs, forums, IRC channels and other media.

We are in need with urgency  any of the following:
  • A primary mirror that will offer rsync of our repositories to other secondary mirrors and will sync itself from our build server
  • A virtual or bare metal server with good network bandwidth that we could manage ourselves to set up our principal mirror

Apart from that we also need more nodes for our automatic packages build infrastructure, the requirements for those nodes are:
  • i7 CPU (or similar) with at least 8 cores
  • 4 or more GB of RAM ( ideally eight or more than eight )
  • Artix GNU/Linux installed on it
  • Full root access

If you are in position to help us with your own infrastructure or you are in position to offer a mirror or a bare metal machine  in your college, high school or work place, contact with us by any medium that you like or just answer to this post in the forum

Where to find us?

Thank you.

Re: Artix needs your help

Reply #1
Regarding the mirror, what is the space needed?
Do you need root access?

Reply #2
Regarding the mirror, what is the space needed?

Not that much, something between 20 and 30 gigs would suffice for now (but that requirement may change in the future)

That depends of the skills of the owner, we don't need root access, in fact we don't need access at all but as I said, that depends on the owner.

Reply #3
Hi, I quote this guy Goineasy9 from https://www.linux.com/forums/web-management/mirrors-new-linux-distro
FYI - I finally solved my problem by going to DistroWatch, looking at the mirrors for the top distros, and e-mailing the administrators of each one I found asking if they would host the new distro. I stopped after finding three. While mirror lists like the one that Aron googled up were helpful, most of the mirrors contained on those lists didn't respond. University LUGs were the most helpful.

Perhaps his solution may apply for you.

Regards.

Reply #6
Apart from that we also need more nodes for our automatic packages build infrastructure, the requirements for those nodes are:

i7 CPU (or similar) with at least 8 cores
    4 or more GB of RAM ( ideally eight or more than eight )
    Artix GNU/Linux installed on it
    Full root access

NYLXS can do the space and bandwidth, but we need a donation of the hardware.
something like this
https://fitpc.com/shop/product/Intense-PC3-i7-Barebone-Core-i7-7500U-2.7-Ghz-dual-core

Reply #8
Thanks everyone for their help. A primary mirror has been setup by @Nadir and the secondary ones should resume sync'ing soon. Matej has contacted the administrator of an academic network, who's agreed to setup a mirror too. This went better (and sooner) than expected. Well done!

@mrbrklyn We could add your mirror to our mirrorlist, once you solve the update issue.

Reply #9
Someone  commented on the article I put up saying that ibiblio has been very reliable for years.  I did not read the details and I am not sure whether it can serve as a primary repository, but possibly an additional mirror.

Thank you @nadir

Reply #10
Someone  commented on the article I put up saying that ibiblio has been very reliable for years.  I did not read the details and I am not sure whether it can serve as a primary repository, but possibly an additional mirror.

Thank you @nadir

ibiblio has been around since the dawn of time but I find them a bit slow most of the time at least for the Cygwin repos.  Kernel.org mirrors some things as well including Arch, Ubuntu, Mint to name a few.  Not sure what their requirements are though.
Host: Predator PH517-61 V1.07
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (16) @ 3.2GHz [112.4°F]
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 56/64
Memory: 1129MiB / 64390MiB

Reply #11
wjat do I do to add the new mirrors?  I have to edit /etc/pacman.conf?

Reply #12
mirror.clarkson.edu would like to volunteer assistance.

Reply #14
They can setup an rsync cronjob from rsync://mirror1.artixlinux.org. Cheers and thanks!

it looks like there was a slight change to the tree structure. 

when I run

rsync -avz  rsync://mirror1.artixlinux.org  /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/nylxs/mirror/

it returns
artix-linux

Same if I try to pull from the root
rsync -avz  rsync://mirror1.artixlinux.org :/  /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/nylxs/mirror/

when I run
 rsync -avz  rsync://mirror1.artixlinux.org:/artix-linux  /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/nylxs/mirror/
it doesn't include the repos and isos subdirectories

I've actually never seen rsync do this before , that is return just a message 'artix-linux'