Skip to main content
Topic: Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO  (Read 20783 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO

There is a Gnome OpenRC ISO for testing (considered alpha stage), for downloading at:

https://iso.artixlinux.org/testing-isos.php

User Name: artix
Password  : artix

Please report any issues, here.

Re: Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO

Reply #1
Known Issues:

GNOME crashes when trying to reorder applications in the GNOME Shell Dash, caused by themes.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Troubleshooting#GNOME_crashes_when_trying_to_reorder_applications_in_the_GNOME_Shell_Dash

Unknown Issues:

Logout Operation was breaking GDM. SOLVED by following exactly the same Issue solution of the Gnome Dash, above.

Fixed by the removal of GDM [18th of June, 2020]

Reply #2
I don't have to worry about installing Gnome by pamac groups from a Lxde. I just use themes and adjustments as extensions. I put the adwaita dark theme and installed the Deepin icons and slider in the home.

Reply #3
I don't have to worry about installing Gnome by pamac groups from a Lxde. I just use themes and adjustments as extensions. I put the adwaita dark theme and installed the Deepin icons and slider in the home.

Nice.

Which init and display manager are you using?

LXDE uses LightDM which breaks Gnome Screenlock and Gnome Screensaver operations.

Deepin icons, do not break GDM at GNOME dash on drag and drop?

Reply #4
I don't have gdm but I left lightdm on gnome after I started lxde installation.    

I'm on OpenRC on this gnome pc. The x11 display manager and the icons and deepin cursor have been downloaded from gnome-look so installed manually in the icons folder.

Reply #5
I don't have gdm but I left lightdm on gnome after I started lxde installation.    

I'm on OpenRC on this gnome pc. The x11 display manager and the icons and deepin cursor have been downloaded from gnome-look so installed manually in the icons folder.

With LightDM or GDM?

Reply #6
sorry if you don't understand all my english I go through the translator: I actually kept lightdm.
if I have any problems on my Artix OpenRC x11lightdm I'll give you a feedback. for the moment everything works perfectly

Reply #7
GNOME Desktop, for Artix Linux with LightDM, as from now on.

Video Demo at: https://streamable.com/qdrvag

Downloads area available at: https://iso.artixlinux.org/testing-isos.php

artix-gnome-openrc-20200618-x86_64.iso
artix-gnome-runit-20200618-x86_64.iso 
artix-gnome-s6-20200618-x86_64.iso

Solved Issues:

• Screen Lock, not working with LightDM
  • GNOME-dash breaking GNOME/GDM with any other theme, than adwaita
  • OpenRC only as the only init system, available

Known Issues:

• Gnome after login, shows message that Screen Locking operation does not exist. This is either caused by the delay of startup Gnome Screensaver after login, or a permissive behavior of Gnome, due to the lack of GDM.

Reply #8
for me gnome openrc really no worries going through pamac groups

Reply #9
for me gnome openrc really no worries going through pamac groups

Nice.

But we are talking about new ISOs available, with Gnome Desktop ready.

Regards

Reply #10
Yeah, okay, I'll try it sometime.

Reply #11
I've been testing Gnome for a few days on an older notebook, the HP 2540p, and I must say I'm deeply impressed.
However, I noticed that I can't permanently set the screen brightness. Is this a Gnome problem or an Artix-Gnome problem?

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

regards

Reply #12
I've been testing Gnome for a few days on an older notebook, the HP 2540p, and I must say I'm deeply impressed.
However, I noticed that I can't permanently set the screen brightness. Is this a Gnome problem or an Artix-Gnome problem?

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

regards
Do you mean screen backlight on laptop after reboot?
This function can be "enabled" by using backlight service. (Install backlight-[init] and enable it)

Reply #14
This was the solution for my problem :)
Thank you.

What could be the reason that I cannot change the brightness with the corresponding key combinations?
The HP notebook uses fn+F9 to decrease brightness and fn+F10 to increase brightness.
If I change the brightness via the menu, it only works once and then it stays as it is.