Skip to main content
Topic: Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO  (Read 20781 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO

Reply #30
I thought that the problem with the backlight Fn shortcut is solved, but now I have a problem that I don't understand.

I have 2 Notebooks, a Lenovo X220 and new for me, a Lenovo T450S.
The first installation was on the X220 and there I modified the grub line as described above and everything still works as it should.
I can adjust the brightness with the Fn shortcut and I see an "on screen symbol for brightness" and it gets darker and brighter and after a restart the screen is as bright as I adjusted.

Now I installed Gnome on the Lenovo T450S and I did exact the same, I installed backlight-openrc and I modified the grub line as well.
With this device there is not the "on screen symbol for brightness" (e. g. the volume symbol is on the screen, when I adjust the volume). It is possible to change the brightness but after a restart everthing is as before.

Is it possible, that it has something to do with the different devices, although the T450S is the newer device?

I know that Gnome is still testing but I love this desktop and I would really like to make it to my default desktop.

greets
Roberto

Reply #31
I thought that the problem with the backlight Fn shortcut is solved, but now I have a problem that I don't understand.

I have 2 Notebooks, a Lenovo X220 and new for me, a Lenovo T450S.
The first installation was on the X220 and there I modified the grub line as described above and everything still works as it should.
I can adjust the brightness with the Fn shortcut and I see an "on screen symbol for brightness" and it gets darker and brighter and after a restart the screen is as bright as I adjusted.

Now I installed Gnome on the Lenovo T450S and I did exact the same, I installed backlight-openrc and I modified the grub line as well.
With this device there is not the "on screen symbol for brightness" (e. g. the volume symbol is on the screen, when I adjust the volume). It is possible to change the brightness but after a restart everthing is as before.

Is it possible, that it has something to do with the different devices, although the T450S is the newer device?

I know that Gnome is still testing but I love this desktop and I would really like to make it to my default desktop.

greets
Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Gnome has nothing to do with any of this problems, even if the ISO is at gremlins (testing) stage.

In both cases, it is a matter of BIOS firmware and this is the reason that you cannot apply the same solution to Lenovo T450S, as you did with Lenovo X220.

You could try to install the brigtnessctl package from galaxy repo and make keyboard shortcuts, and assign values to them, as described at the project's page

Regards

Reply #32
My first post here :)  I wanna thank everyone that engaged in the Artix project. Its good to find people who still respect our right to use technology in a (more or less) "honest" way - and for this Artix-Gnome iso, i have to admit that maybe is the most durable Gnome i ever used. Thank you Linuxer ;)

To the point - i found something weird. I read in Mandog post that

As for lightdm it works well and i can use wayland with my nvidia card I don't like ldm but why change what works out the box, SSDM is sluggish when using GTK distros in my experience LXDE is lighter and faster but no Wayland support as far a i know. 

In my laptop (Intel Core2duo & Intel 965 graphics chip) - after the installation, some programs like SoulseekQT and Telegram didn't start. I was advised (by Linuxer) to change the dm in /etc/environment from wayland to xcb and yes SoulseekQT, Telegram and any other program starts perfectly.

But some things aren't right. In every Gnome session the "echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE" gives "x11" as a result. Also the second Gnome session in LightDM list (maybe the Wayland one ?) is not selectable. Wayland is installed but i think is not up.

Any ideas ?

Reply #33
My first post here :)  I wanna thank everyone that engaged in the Artix project. Its good to find people who still respect our right to use technology in a (more or less) "honest" way - and for this Artix-Gnome iso, i have to admit that maybe is the most durable Gnome i ever used. Thank you Linuxer ;)

To the point - i found something weird. I read in Mandog post that

In my laptop (Intel Core2duo & Intel 965 graphics chip) - after the installation, some programs like SoulseekQT and Telegram didn't start. I was advised (by Linuxer) to change the dm in /etc/environment from wayland to xcb and yes SoulseekQT, Telegram and any other program starts perfectly.

But some things aren't right. In every Gnome session the "echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE" gives "x11" as a result. Also the second Gnome session in LightDM list (maybe the Wayland one ?) is not selectable. Wayland is installed but i think is not up.

Any ideas ?

Welcome to the community Herco and thanks for your positive feedback for this ISO.

As I have mention at this previous post, i was considering to shift from LightDM to SDDM, for Wayland proper operation.

@mandog was the only person that confirmed wayland's normal operation with LightDM.

Therefore, the next testing ISOs, will be using SDDM instead of LightDM.

After uploading them, you will be notified accordingly to download the latest ISO, so please be kind enough to provide another feedback regarding this issue.

Best

Reply #34
Thanks for this Speed of Light answer :)

I ll be waitin for the next Gnome iso  ;)

Reply #35
Hi Roberto,

Gnome has nothing to do with any of this problems, even if the ISO is at gremlins (testing) stage.

In both cases, it is a matter of BIOS firmware and this is the reason that you cannot apply the same solution to Lenovo T450S, as you did with Lenovo X220.

You could try to install the brigtnessctl package from galaxy repo and make keyboard shortcuts, and assign values to them, as described at the project's page

Regards
Hi linuxer,

thank you for your help and I will take a look at brightnessctl.

But there is still a thing that I really don't understand.
Just to narrow down the problem, I have downloaded Manjaro Gnome. Yes I know, that Manjaro uses systemd and Artix Gnome does not. But the point is, that I booted my T450S with this distro and everything works with the FN shortcuts. Nothing to install, nothing to do.

That suggests to me the assumption that it is not because of the device and also not because of the Bios version.
By the way, I updated the notebook last night to the latest Bios (2019) and then completely reinstalled Artix Gnome. No chance that the brightness changes.
After installing backlight-openrc you can change the brightness, but the slider in the top right corner of the drop-down window does not change.

I'm sorry to annoy you with my problem, but I'm not the guy to give up so quickly.

regards
Roberto

Reply #36
Hi linuxer,

thank you for your help and I will take a look at brightnessctl.

But there is still a thing that I really don't understand.
Just to narrow down the problem, I have downloaded Manjaro Gnome. Yes I know, that Manjaro uses systemd and Artix Gnome does not. But the point is, that I booted my T450S with this distro and everything works with the FN shortcuts. Nothing to install, nothing to do.

That suggests to me the assumption that it is not because of the device and also not because of the Bios version.
By the way, I updated the notebook last night to the latest Bios (2019) and then completely reinstalled Artix Gnome. No chance that the brightness changes.
After installing backlight-openrc you can change the brightness, but the slider in the top right corner of the drop-down window does not change.

I'm sorry to annoy you with my problem, but I'm not the guy to give up so quickly.

regards
Roberto
Hi Roberto and thanks for your feedback.

When I mentioned BIOS, was as per your previous case with acpi_osi modification on Grub's kernel boot line and has nothing to do with BIOS updates.

You are not annoying me, but Gnome is upstream and we don't interfere into any such aspects.

I am not in the position to know, what Manjaro Devs have been up to, or which packages are loaded,  because it is a completely different distribution and not related to us.

Maybe by trying the acpi_backlight=vendor to the Grub Line will solve your problem as reported here

Regards

Reply #37
i was considering to shift from LightDM to SDDM, for Wayland proper operation.

Therefore, the next testing ISOs, will be using SDDM instead of LightDM.

As I saw it today, you re right for once more!!  Sddm is the only (?) choice for a proper collaboration with Wayland in Gnome.

We are waiting for the next sddm iso!  :) 

Reply #38
As I saw it today, you re right for once more!!  Sddm is the only (?) choice for a proper collaboration with Wayland in Gnome.

We are waiting for the next sddm iso!  :) 

Hi Herco,

Thanks for your confirmation.

Regards

Reply #39
Currently running Gnome (runit) version on my laptop. Very impressed by the work. Looking forward the new release with sddm. 

Reply #40
Gnome with SDDM, wayland confirmation.

GPU Intel i915

Reply #42
Hello World!

Finally an obvious management between qt5 and wayland in Gnome  :D
I look forward to it!

Thank you very much!

Reply #43
Known Issues:

GDM startrs on tty7, so looks broken (Runit Init):

Solution (please try):
Code: [Select]
sudo nano /etc/gdm/custom.conf

Add the line FirstVT=1 as shown below and save the file:

su does not prompt for password:

Solution:
sudo nano /etc/pam.d/su

Commend the line as below and save the file:

[UPDATE] Runit does not start GDM session on live CD:

Solution:

Please edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and apply as per commit

Note: The FirstVT=1 can be commented, if GDM does not start, as below (not yet decided):
#FirstVT=7

Qt Applications not starting between x11/wayland when sessions are changed:

Solution:

make a new script executable at your home folder for local startups (user), or edit your .bashrc or .zhrc and add the following lines, normally on top, as below:

session_type=$XDG_SESSION_TYPE

export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland

if [[ ${session_type} == "x11" ]]; then
  export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb
fi

Fixed GDM start under Runit, thanks @konimex for approving my suggestion to add the line:
sv check dbus > /dev/null || exit 1
to gdm-runit service.

included at this update and on

Reply #44
Known issue:

No hibernation function available.

Reason:

Gnome shell extensions such as hibernate-status-button, need systemctl command.

Solution: (my dirty trick  :D  :D  :D)

Add the following lines to your ~/.bashrc or ~/.zshrc file:

systemctl () {
    if [ -z "$1" ]; then
        echo "Perhaps you wanted to do something?"
    else
        if [ "$1" = "hibernate" ]; then
            loginctl hibernate
         else
            echo "ERROR: wrong parameters detected: $1"
        fi