Skip to main content
Topic: Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO  (Read 21050 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO

Reply #45
[Update]

fakesystemctl script has been created, to assist some gnome-shell-exensions, alone with some other special cases.

Reply #46
I don't want to be misunderstood, I'm just curious when a stable iso of Artix Gnome will be released.
I find the Gnome desktop very nice, but the current test iso is now so old that I fear it will probably be difficult to install.
Maybe I am wrong.

Nevertheless I would like to see an official stable iso.

greets
Roberto

Reply #47
I don't want to be misunderstood, I'm just curious when a stable iso of Artix Gnome will be released.
I find the Gnome desktop very nice, but the current test iso is now so old that I fear it will probably be difficult to install.
Maybe I am wrong.

Not the answer to your question, but I'm actually using GNOME+GDM+Wayland on Artix runit as my daily driver. Instead of using the GNOME image I installed Artix from the LXQt ISO and replaced LXQt+SDDM by GNOME+GDM. I didn't like the GNOME ISO, because it's not based on GDM and doesn't use Wayland by default.
Code: [Select]
ARTIX Dinit + SDDM + Enlightenment

Reply #48
Not the answer to your question, but I'm actually using GNOME+GDM+Wayland on Artix runit as my daily driver. Instead of using the GNOME image I installed Artix from the LXQt ISO and replaced LXQt+SDDM by GNOME+GDM. I didn't like the GNOME ISO, because it's not based on GDM and doesn't use Wayland by default.

The ISO was based on LightDM, when we had issues with GDM not starting.

Now, when released, it will be with GDM only.

Would be nice to read all first, prior to judging like that.

Reply #49
I was reporting how I got to use GNOME+GDM+Wayland long before there was an ISO providing this combination. This can hardly be called a judgement.
ARTIX Dinit + SDDM + Enlightenment

Reply #50
Didn't see any report before that.

Anyway, I am waiting for my MR so to keep on going as a project.

Reply #51
Hey linuxer,

I just saw with great joy that there is a current Artix Gnome openrc iso.
I immediately downloaded and installed it and I can simply say, just fantastic, great work.
Everything is running smoothly so far.
If I notice anything, I will be happy to give feedback.

Thanks again for this new iso.
Roberto

Reply #52
Enjoy.

Reply #53
The iso is working nicely for me too. Just don't forget to run sudo pacman -Syu after the installation. Hope we can have plymouth in the future.

Reply #54
The iso is working nicely for me too. Just don't forget to run sudo pacman -Syu after the installation. Hope we can have plymouth in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

Plymouth is not planned to be used in our ISOs

Reply #55

A minor bug: print_help() sets ${colorgreen} but doesn’t clean up after that.

And just curious (not to criticize): since when did 92 characters per line become a sort de bon ton for shell scripts? Why namely this number?

And yet another unrelated thing: conversion of images captured from desktop to JPEG is an abomination.

Reply #56
A minor bug: print_help() sets ${colorgreen} but doesn’t clean up after that.

And just curious (not to criticize): since when did 92 characters per line become a sort de bon ton for shell scripts? Why namely this number?

And yet another unrelated thing: conversion of images captured from desktop to JPEG is an abomination.

Hi,

Thanks for the evaluation, is not yet production ready, cause that script was created for some specific purposes.

Btw, I do not get your comment about the characters per line.

Reply #57
good evening, when will there be a new iso gnome runit, thanks

Reply #58
HI there!

honestly pretty new to linux still and jumping in on the deep end here, based on what i've learned recently, artix seems like a really exciting project. i'm coming from ubuntu and prefer the gnome de over the others i've tried, so i downloaded and installed the runit version of this iso on a vm but am running into some trouble.

i went to update everything for the first time after installing and received this error:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) 
:: installing elogind (246.10-5) breaks dependency 'systemd' required by gnome-logs

my pacman.conf matches what is suggested on the wiki's repository page. the github page for gnome-logs says "GNOME Logs is a log viewer for the systemd journal." so i'm not sure why or how that is installed in the first place. how should i proceed? remove gnome-logs?

edit:

I just went ahead and removed gnome-logs, and that at least let me proceed with the installation, however, i now received the following error after checking for file conflicts

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
esysusers: /usr/bin/sysusers exists in filesystem (owned by opensysusers)
esysusers: /usr/lib/sysusers.d/basic.conf exists in filesystem (owned by opensysusers)
etmpfiles: /usr/bin/tmpfiles exists in filesystem (owned by opentmpfiles)
Errors occurred, no packages were upraged.

I see the post artoo made in september of 2020 saying he moved from opentmpfiles and opensysusers to etmpfiles and esysusers and notice that the runit iso is dated july of 2020 so i'm assuming that's where the issue is. Is there some way I can replace opentmpfiles and opensysusers with etmpfiles and esysusers? Like i said, i'm still somewhat new to linux so i'm a little out of my depth on this particular issue :-[

Reply #59
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) 
:: installing elogind (246.10-5) breaks dependency 'systemd' required by gnome-logs

Why do you use systemd? Don't use systemd, don't use Arch Linux repositories. This is Artix Linux.

If you really need to use Arch Linux repositories, then take the time to carefully set them up so they don't take precedence over Artix repositories:

https://artixlinux.org/news.php#Arch_repositories_made_optional
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories