Skip to main content
Topic: Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO  (Read 21043 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Artix Linux new flavor with Gnome Desktop ISO

Reply #15
This was the solution for my problem :)
Thank you.

What could be the reason that I cannot change the brightness with the corresponding key combinations?
The HP notebook uses fn+F9 to decrease brightness and fn+F10 to increase brightness.
If I change the brightness via the menu, it only works once and then it stays as it is.

You will probably have to set them at keyboard shortcuts.

iirc, it must be set at the tweaks.

Regards

Reply #16
You have done a nice job with this its great to see a gnome openrc version.

Allas its not without a few niggles
The theme you use really slows things down like opening apps and a delay in closing apps
This is the theme I use Mc-OS-Transparent-1.3  dark theme with a hint of background transparency 

I'm glad you enabled Bluetooth out the box as it should be in gnome
Good work keep it up.

Reply #17
You have done a nice job with this its great to see a gnome openrc version.

Allas its not without a few niggles
The theme you use really slows things down like opening apps and a delay in closing apps
This is the theme I use Mc-OS-Transparent-1.3  dark theme with a hint of background transparency 

I'm glad you enabled Bluetooth out the box as it should be in gnome
Good work keep it up.

Thank you for the positive feedback, provided by your side.

The themes are obligatory to be used, ever since it is an Artix Branded ISO.

Stay tuned, because I am also trying to shift to sddm, if possible, prior to the final release.

Regards

Reply #18
Thank you for the positive feedback, provided by your side.

The themes are obligatory to be used, ever since it is an Artix Branded ISO.

Stay tuned, because I am also trying to shift to sddm, if possible, prior to the final release.

Regards

The impact of the sluggishness will really persuade users not to use Gnome it needs work to make it compatible,

As for lightdm it works well and i can use wayland with my nvidia card I don't like ldm but why change what works out the box, SSDM is sluggish when using GTK distros in my experience LXDE is lighter and faster but no Wayland support as far a i know. 

Reply #19
The impact of the sluggishness will really persuade users not to use Gnome it needs work to make it compatible,

As for lightdm it works well and i can use wayland with my nvidia card I don't like ldm but why change what works out the box, SSDM is sluggish when using GTK distros in my experience LXDE is lighter and faster but no Wayland support as far a i know. 
I just would like to test that too, exactly for the wayland.

You are the first mentioning that wayland works and this makes me feel a lot better.  :) 

We will then, keep LightDM.

Thank you again for the feedback!

Reply #20
You will probably have to set them at keyboard shortcuts.

iirc, it must be set at the tweaks.

Regards
I have searched the tweaks, but unfortunately I did not find the subitem.
Can you please tell me the area where you can switch on or assign the fn keys?

Thanks a lot :)

Regards

Reply #21
in gnome you have to go to the parameters and shortcuts to assign the keys

Reply #22
I have searched the tweaks, but unfortunately I did not find the subitem.
Can you please tell me the area where you can switch on or assign the fn keys?

Thanks a lot :)

Regards

For the case you need help with Gnome, please visit their site

For any DE matter, please search it there.

We are using the Gnome upstream, this means that we do not interfere in anything.

Regards

Reply #23
Gnome? from my little understanding, gnome relies on systemd, so does this mean Artix still relies on some systemd stuff? (i think this explains to me why cmus and mpd works despite them relying on libsystemd)

Reply #24
Artix uses libelogind which is compatible with libsystemd and implements the same APIs.

Reply #25
There must be another reason why the Fn shortcuts do not work properly.

I downloaded Manjaro Gnome for testing and put the iso on an usb stick. Then I started the HP 2540p as well as a Thinkpad X220 and an Asus R510C with the iso. On all devices the Fn keys worked perfectly.
When I use the shortcuts on Artix Gnome, the screen icon appears and the bar changes. But the brightness does not change. The same is for the volume. So the shortcuts are not completely inactive, but nothing changes.

I took a look at the keyboard layout at Manjaro Gnome and there I found that the Fn keys are not explicitly set. I can imagine that it could be a missing package.

Reply #26
I found the solution  ;D

After modifying the grub line:
Code: [Select]
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet resume=UUID=c26f432e-7c80-4edc-81e1-93a9a083fbf8"
to
Code: [Select]
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="
and a restart, the Fn shortcuts are working now properly.

regards

Reply #27
I tried Artix  GNOME on my Lenovo Ideapad C340 and I noticed a bug with the brightness. Keyboard shortcuts are recognized but it doesn't change it.

Also, why does the GNOME version comes with all the useless GNOME apps like mahjong game, etc...
I had to pretty much uninstall everything...

I think I will stay with Fedora for now (even if I liked how fast runit boot).

Also, is there a plan to add plymouth like fedora or ubuntu ?

Reply #28
I tried Artix  GNOME on my Lenovo Ideapad C340 and I noticed a bug with the brightness. Keyboard shortcuts are recognized but it doesn't change it.

Also, why does the GNOME version comes with all the useless GNOME apps like mahjong game, etc...

Please check the above solution in this thread, regarding the brightness keys for laptops.

Well, maybe the default Gnome apps, seems useless to you and you are free to uninstall them, but other users want them.

Plymouth is not in our plans.

Regards

Reply #29

duh, its gnome...